Thursday, November 3, 2011

Baked Oatmeal


For my new recipe of the week I made Baked Oatmeal. I used this http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/07/baked-oatmeal-355-receipe-052-serving.html as my inspiration and made a few changes.

1.5 cups milk
1 cup plain yogurt
1 large egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon



STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 8x8 baking dish coated with non-stick spray.

STEP 2: In one bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (milk, yogurt, egg, sugar). In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon). Combine the two bowls and stir until evenly mixed. Pour the in the baking dish.

STEP 3: Cover the dish with foil (to keep the moisture in and steam the oats) and place in the preheated oven. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove the foil at 20 minutes and continue to bake until the top is golden brown (about 25 minutes more).

STEP 4: Serve warm with cold milk, fruit, whipped cream, vanilla yogurt or just plain!


I added another 1/4 cup of brown sugar in top and baked it an additional 10 minutes . I also added 2 tbs. of ground flaxseed to up the nutrition power! 

I'd give this recipe a 7/10.


Fiona's oatmeal this morning.

I was introduced to the idea of baked oatmeal while staying at this fantastic bed and breakfast, Mountain Hideaway in Port Matilda, PA http://mthideaway.com/ I would highly recommend a stay here if you are in the need of some R & R. We've been there twice and I can't wait to return soon.



Caitlin enjoying her breakfast this morning!








No comments:

Post a Comment