Monday, November 14, 2011

We are... Penn State

Photo-  USAtoday.com

I haven't yet blogged about the Sandusky scandal because honestly, I didn't know what to say.


I have been a Penn State fan since birth. I was born at the hospital that overlooks Beaver Stadium. My dad has been employed by the University since before I was born and is proudly working his way toward retirement after more than 30 years. Thanks to opportunities that Penn State has given my dad, my mom was able to stay at home with us when my sister and I were children. I was able to graduate from Penn State in 2004 without any loans or debt, thanks to the generous employee discount my dad receives as part of his benefit package. 


I met my husband my first week of college and we have grown into Penn State proud alumni and settled down here in State College. We love it here because this is who we are. Our twins were born in the same hospital that I was born and I looked out my window at the stadium and imagined all of the tradition and history I would share with my beautiful babies. We bought them their first Penn State gear from the gift shop before we even left the hospital.


Then the report came out with the unimaginable allegations against Jerry Sandusky. I couldn't believe something this heinous was going on right in our back yard. Then the information came out showing that there was ample opportunity from those who had witnessed or had been informed about this abuse  to go to the proper authorities to STOP this from happening again and start an investigation. Unbelievable. It was a week of mixed emotions.


As I walked into the stadium Saturday, the energy was palpable. For the fist time that I know of in history, the team held hands and walked out on the field. The show of respect brought me to tears. Both Nebraska and Penn State (and many past PSU players) together knelt on the field and prayed. The 106,000 fans stood in complete silence as tears ran down many faces.


Sure, we lost the game but the healing had started. The focus shifted to the victims, where is obviously needs to be. We stood together and cheered, just as we always do because a handful of people who have made horrible decisions does reflect who WE are.


I ask you to join me in praying for victims. It's time that these young men get the attention and respect they deserve. Hopefully our prayers can ease some of the pain and help them have the strength they will need as the legal proceedings move forward.   
  
We Are... Penn State!





No comments:

Post a Comment